Group Engineer - Network Management and Asset Management
Are you an experienced engineer looking for an opportunity to improve the lives of the local people of Huddersfield, Dewsbury and the surrounding areas? We are looking for a Group Engineer to work as part of our Highway Network and Asset Management teams here at Kirklees Council.
Kirklees is attracting a significant level of investment into the district, which is funding major highway infrastructure improvements, upgrade of utility networks including major investment in fibre, as well as new homes and businesses.
In Highway Network Management, we have increasing emphasis on minimising delay and disruption caused by street/roadworks, planned events and incidents with the aim to maintain or return to normal operating as quickly as possible. In Asset Management, we have overall responsibility for the highway’s assets including a 1900km road network, structures portfolio of 500 bridges, 600 retaining walls, culverts or other structures and 52,000 streetlights
We are looking for a Group Engineer who already has:
- An appropriate professional or academic qualification which related to the skills and abilities required for the post or the ability to demonstrate significant experience.
- Proven experience and knowledge of budget preparation and financial management and control.
- Experience of providing effective leadership alongside team management and development.
- A full and valid driving licence and the ability to travel between sites.
As Group Engineer, your key responsibilities and duties will consist of:
- Supervise and mentor others in, so need experience in network management/highways asset management, CDM, street works, TMA and Health and Safety legislation and good practise.
- Support and advise your teams as they analyse and monitor data from a variety of sources and from that, maintain an effective and efficient service in asset management and network management.
- Collaborate, advise and liaise with various Council departments, partners, regional and pan regional organisations, utilities companies and 3rd parties so issues and requirements are understood and resolved. There is a need for a high level of effective and efficient communication, both written and verbal and negotiation skills.
- Develop strategies and policies for the effective management of highways assets and the road network, ensuring all are appropriately approved and implemented.
- Manage and monitor Capital and Revenue expenditure and programmes including preparation of Cabinet reports to support Operational Manager.
- Undertake and support Principal Engineer’s in project/ programme management, including preparation of technical and financial reports to ensure all programmes/projects are appropriately approved and authorised.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with required procedures; review, propose and implement revised and new procedures
- Lead on the delivery of key changes within the service
- Be responsible for the wellbeing of yourself and others on a day to day basis, and the supervision of Engineers, Senior Engineer, Principal Engineers, Apprentices and Support staff within your team, including undertaking and supporting others to do, appraisals, 1-2-1’s etc.
At Kirklees Council, we want to support your professional development to give you the right skills, confidence, and support to really achieve your potential. We offer a variety of courses and training designed for this exact purpose. We value the importance of having work life balance, so therefore we offer provisions such as flexible-working, generous holiday entitlement, a variety of special leave policies, employee healthcare services and a childcare voucher scheme.
28 November 2020, 11:55 PM