Group Engineer - Highway Safety Design (Public Realm)
Are you an experienced engineer looking for an opportunity to improve the lives of the local people of Huddersfield, Dewsbury and the surrounding areas? We are looking for a Group Engineer to work as part of our Highways Safety Design – Public Realm team here at Kirklees Council.
Kirklees is attracting a significant level of investment into the district, which is funding major highway infrastructure improvements, upgrade of utility networks including major investment in fibre, as well as new homes and businesses.
Highways Safety Design - Public Realm Team are responsible for supporting the regeneration of our Town Centres, through effective and innovative design of highway improvement, maintenance and traffic management schemes and for finding solutions to enable the competing demands from busy town centres to work together to create vibrate and attract hubs for the future.
We are looking for a Group Engineer who already has:
- An appropriate professional or academic qualification which related to the skills and abilities required for the post or the ability to demonstrate significant experience.
- Proven experience and knowledge of budget preparation and financial management and control.
- Experience of providing effective leadership alongside team management and development.
- A full and valid driving licence and the ability to travel between sites.
As Group Engineer, your key responsibilities and duties will consist of:
- Supervise and mentor others in the concept and detail design of a range of Town Centre focused highway schemes designed to improve the public realm that is on offer for all highway users, including those categorised as our most vulnerable road users group , and that improve the day to day movement of pedestrians, cyclists and other highway users.
- Represent Highways, support and advise your teams on representing highways, in the development of scheme across the Council which may involve those generated from Blue Print proposals, Town Centre Initiatives, Public Art projects, Landscape and Play Street proposals, and West Yorkshire Combined Authority schemes.
- Liaise with, and advise, various Council departments, partners, and 3rd parties on design issues relating to all traffic interaction on the highway, understand the need for a high level of effective and efficient communication, both written and verbal.
- Assess, and supervise others to assess, the potential highway impacts of proposed developments in and around our Town Centres and looking for ways to ensure those developments blend in to and enhance our Towns.
- Supervise others in the preparation of works packages, estimates, bills of quantities, contract drawings and documentation where appropriate, and supervision of the highway schemes they are involved in.
- Manage and mentor your teams as they design and deliver schemes.
- Manage and monitor Capital Plan expenditure including preparation of Cabinet reports and expenditure updates for Capital monitoring to support Operational Managers with the over finance management of the Highways Capital budget.
- Undertake the relevant duty holder’s role under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015, in particular, Principal Designer / Designer and supervise other staff members on theirs.
- Undertake and support Principal Engineer’s in undertaking, project management, including preparation of technical and financial reports to ensure all schemes are appropriately approved and authorised for construction and managing budgets.
- Be responsible for the wellbeing of yourself and others on a day to day basis, and the supervision of Principal Engineers, Senior Engineers, Engineers and Apprentices within in your team.
- Spend a portion of your time travelling between sites, for which you will need a full and valid driving licence, and a willingness to undertake and pass a Kirklees Council driving test.
At Kirklees Council, we want to support your professional development to give you the right skills, confidence, and support to really achieve your potential. We offer a variety of courses and training designed for this exact purpose.
We value the importance of having work life balance, so therefore we offer provisions such as flexible-working, generous holiday entitlement, a variety of special leave policies, and employee healthcare services.
28 November 2020, 11:55 PM