Group Engineer - Highway Design (Section 38 and Technical Support)
Are you an experienced engineer looking for an opportunity to improve the lives of the local people of Huddersfield, Dewsbury and the surrounding areas? We are looking for a Group Engineer to work as part of our Section 38 and Technical Support team here at Kirklees Council.
Kirklees is attracting a significant level of investment into the district, which is funding major highway infrastructure improvements, upgrade of utility networks including major investment in fibre, as well as new homes and businesses.
The Section 38 and Technical Support team, within Highway Design, are responsible for the assessment and implementation of highway proposals associated with new developments across Kirklees, where the end result is that the completed new / amended roads, with agreement made under Section 38 of the Highways Act, will be adopted by the Highway Authority and become part of the public highway infrastructure maintainable at public expense. These proposals are submitted by Developers and Highways Consultants prior to, and then as part of the Planning process, and the Section 38 and Technical Support Team are responsible for these applications from pre-planning advise, to supervision and sign off of the completed roads
We are looking for a Group Engineer who already has:
- An appropriate professional or academic qualification which related to the skills and abilities required for the post or the ability to demonstrate significant experience.
- Proven experience and knowledge of budget preparation and financial management and control.
- Experience of providing effective leadership alongside team management and development.
- A full and valid driving licence and the ability to travel between sites.
As Group Engineer, your key responsibilities and duties will consist of:
- Managing the liaison with and advising of various Council departments and partners, including developers and Highway Consultants on issues relating Section 38’s, their impact on our network and understand the need for effective and efficient communication, both written and verbal.
- Supporting, and supervising, others to work with developers and highway consultants on the design of highway schemes, from pre-application stage, to completion of construction on site, which will facilitate development, with relation to Sections 38.
- Mentoring and supervising others, with the design checks for new development related highway projects, and the highway adoption process.
- Working with the Councils solicitors and developers, their agents and /or highway consultants, to secure a Section 38 agreement that is fit for purpose, and protects the Council, and Highway Authority from future liability.
- Work with your manager to produce monitoring reports for Section 38 applications and their progress.
- Manage the APC process, and associated legal procedures, prior to completion of Section 38 applications, to ensure compliance with relevant planning and highway legislation.
- Manage the inspection processes of works being undertaken as part of Section 38 agreements and ensure clear and accurate records of those inspections are kept.
- Undertake the relevant duty holder’s role under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015, in particular, Designer.
- Be responsible for the wellbeing of yourself and others on a day to day basis, and the management and supervision of Principal, Senior Engineers and technical staff and apprentices within in your team, including 1-2-1’s, appraisals etc, where appropriate.
- Occasional travelling for site visits and meetings may be necessary, for which you will need a full and valid driving licence, and a willingness to undertake and pass a Kirklees Council driving test.
At Kirklees Council, we want to support your professional development to give you the right skills, confidence, and support to really achieve your potential. We offer a variety of courses and training designed for this exact purpose.
We value the importance of having work life balance, so therefore we offer provisions such as flexible-working, generous holiday entitlement, a variety of special leave policies, and employee healthcare services.
28 November 2020, 11:55 PM