Senior Planning Officer - Internal - 2 Jobs
£37,890 - £39,880
Internally restricted job. To apply for this job you must be an employee of the Council for the duration of the recruitment process – up to and including the start date. You must also be a substantive employee (or an employee with 12 months continuous service or more) of the Council or an Apprentice. Please note that if you work for an Academy you are not an employee of the Council.
There are 2 jobs available.
The Kirklees Local Plan sets ambitious housing and employment targets which we are excited to achieve. We know we need to deliver new homes and jobs to create the communities of the future and cement our position in the Leeds City Region. We want our buildings and spaces to be of high quality and are looking to take the opportunities to improve quality through the implementation of the Local Plan by producing a series of Area Action Plans, Supplementary Planning Documents and Development Management guidance. We recognise there are challenges ahead in implementing the Local Plan not least in balancing the expectations of growth with our vibrant local communities, the infrastructure requirements and our quality landscapes.
Reporting to one of our Planning Policy Team Leaders, the Senior Planner role will be responsible for leading projects such as the production of Supplementary Planning Documents including writing tender briefs to support the work where further evidence is required.
Following the implementation of the Local Plan a range of planning policy documents are required. Your ability to take opportunities to ensure an effective policy framework through project management of policy formulation and implementation is important to us, alongside sound project management and leadership skills. You will also have a key role in the review of the Local Plan.
You will be an ambitious planning professional who can demonstrate the qualities, leadership potential and project management experience and rise to the challenge of dealing with this role.
Your role will include leading complex policy projects, providing advice to Development Management on complex planning applications and acting as the Council’s expert witness at appeals as well as supporting your Team Leader and deputising in the day to day management of the Team. You will also be asked to mentor and support the junior members of staff and to contribute towards service improvement initiatives.
Requirements for this job:
- Relevant professional qualification and Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute (MRTPI)
- Extensive experience in planning policy including complex planning policy work areas and policy formulation
- Knowledge and experience of supervising and managing staff as well as the use of project management tools
- In depth and extensive knowledge in the latest national planning policy, guidance and procedures.
- Experienced at working in a sensitive political environment.
- Substantial knowledge and experience of preparing and presenting evidence at public inquiry or examination.
- Operational knowledge of the preparation of tenders and specifications
For further information about this role, please contact Steven Wright on 01484 221000.
01 November 2020, 11:55 PM